|plinth with removable armature|
Using a hard Plastilene clay(oil-based), I blocked in both figures, maintaining the proportions as much as possible,
with my photographs and measurements for reference. Establishing the gesture and proportions are the focus here as the clay becomes quite solid and intractable, the more that is added. After somewhat developing the figure and face of the female, the problem that remained was making the two fit together in the way that flesh does naturally - it flows in and out and around other opposing flesh. At that point, I cut up two old little paintings (needing the plywood that made the cradle for the painting surface), and glued and sanded them to fashion a simple bench for the seat. I made a slot in it, to allow it to slip under the male and around the pole supporting him. The top of the bench would require building up to meet his bottom
Moving on to the male figure, I began to realize that in order to work with them and fit them together perfectly I would have to remove the arms, all four of them, on order to perfect the bodies, simplify the molds, and make it easier to work them separately.
That done, I began to work on the detail of the male figure. And here's where I am at this point. (Actually I'm a bit further along, but more about that later). The piece is called "Golden Anniversary".